Friday 20 July 2012

STYLE FOR ALL



I recently saw the advert for the Paralympics and was full of admiration for these athletes who, in the face of adversity, have risen to the challenge of being the best in their chosen sport. I also thought they looked great in their team outfits designed by Stella McCartney. I’m sure that just like able bodied athletes our parathletes wanted a kit that enabled them to perform at their best while looking good.

Whilst we can’t all be Olympians or Paralympians we all know that if we look good we feel good; our confidence increases and our self esteem is boosted. Team kits foster a sense of belonging and team spirit but clothing and fashion is also a great way of expressing our individuality. We should all be able to access that feel good factor irrespective of physique, size, age etc. Looking good is not the prerogative of the able bodied and I am dismayed that there are very few clothing ranges for people living with a disability, especially for young people who want to look stylish and fashionable. I have a few clients for whom it has been a real struggle to find clothes that they want to wear and that only underlines their disability.

This view was endorsed when I attended the opening of the new premises of Rapid Mobility in Stoke-on-Trent. Rapid offer an extensive range of mobility aids and resources but no clothing. Owner Terry Connop told me that she has been trying to source a range of clothing that meets the needs of the disabled and carers but is also stylish. Other organisations supporting the event also expressed the same frustration.

I would love to hear from any designer or manufacturer who think they have a solution to this problem. I would also appeal to any fashion student to contact me if they are interested in developing a line of clothing.

Super cool Robert Brassington, 16, of Newcastle-u-Lyme loves fashion but Mum Diane says, “shopping can be very frustrating and hard work and I often have to adapt clothes myself for Robert to wear.”



No comments:

Post a Comment